Subject: Re: Lightwave-film
From: David Gilinsky <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 1994 11:27:47 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 26 Aug 1994, Rayvon Hartzog wrote:

> anyone out there could give me some advice. What resolution would be best,
> is there any consideration to how light or dark the scene should be. I've
> only worked with video so far and going to film or print is new to me. 
> Thanks in advance
>  

Hi There,
	We go to film with Lightwave rendered animations and images on a
regular basis.  The best resolution to use for rendering depends heavily
on your target media.  If you're rendering a still image for a CD
cover and you'll be using a digital film recorder to expose a 4X5 or 8X10
transparency, use the highest resolution that your memory allows.  For a
good quality 4X5 transparency, what used to be print resolution (2560X1920
with square pixels) is the absolute minimum.  Don't forget to use square
pixels if your output device is a digital film recorder; and you'll want
to check on the aspect ratio of your film image area.  As far as lighting
the scene is concerned, we've found that you really have tremendous
latitude with film.  It's important, though, to preview your image for
lighting and contrast on a good, non-interlaced, RGB monitor - not a 
composite NTSC monitor. 

	If you're not involved with the actual exposure of the film, just
the rendering of the image, supply your service bureau, publisher,
whatever with several images ranging in brightness and contrast from
darker than what looks right to you to lighter than what looks right to
you.  Then, take the one that looks the best on film.  We have to keep
reminding ourselves that film is a chemical sandwich that gets processed
in a chemical soup and, just like their edible counterparts, their flavor
changes with the weather. ;)

If you need more information, mail me directly.

						Bye,
						
						Dave
						Pixel Dust, Inc.
						[email-masked]
_______________________________________________________________________________